Performance App
Web application for a dispatching company focusing on user communication.
Project Overview
During this Internship, I collaborated with the clients and software developers to design high-fidelity prototypes in Figma for a web application that monitors cars, drivers, and deliveries for dispatching companies.
What I did
  • UX/UI Design
  • Interaction Design
  • Data Visualization
  • September 2021 - March 2022
  • 7 Months

Project Brief
For this project, I was asked to design an entire web application that would be used by Delivery Service Providers (DSP) to supervise drivers and to track the quality of their work. During these 7 months, I met with my client-facing supervisor every day to discuss daily iterations and to assess our design choices. Check out some of the many designs I created and the decisions behind them.

  • The Workflow page is responsible for uploading daily and weekly reports for the deliveries and the driver performances.
  • Initially, we wanted the chat to be present on every tab/page for easy access. After a few weeks, we realized that this would be distracting and take away unnecessary space from other screens/pages.
  • I started with medium fidelity designs and split the screen into 2 sections, one for uploading daily reports and the other for weekly reports.

  • After meeting with the developers, we decided to change the split into two separate screens to carry out the uploads.
  • Once the reports (in PDF form) are uploaded, they are saved into the Report tab of the application.
  • The weekly reports span from sunday to monday. If the week is not yet complete, the previous week will automatically get selected.

  • The Chat tab can be used by the DSPs to contact the drivers and to send their reports to them.
  • Instead of having an entirely new tab for accessing each driver's performance report, I added the reports to the right panel in each chat window.
  • The DSPs can check a driver's performance while talking to them and quickly send them particular areas of improvements with just one click.

  • For the dashboard, I was provided with an example of the report and was asked to design the dashboard based on it.
  • So, for this part of the project I had to visualize data in a way that would be comprehensible and relevant to the DSPs.
  • Here is one part of the report example I used:

  • I started with a low fidelity design to visualize each section of the report.

  • Then I created the medium fidelity designs to visualize how the data would look.
  • This was the exact moment where we decided to keep the chats in a separate tab as the dashboard started to look cluttered and overwhelming.

  • Next, I designed the high fidelity prototypes and we would discuss these iterations every few days to reach a final protoype that is easy-to-follow for the DSPs and feasible to develop for the development team.
  • Since I have a background in Computer Science Engineering, I made sure all the designs I was creating were realizable.

Iteration 1:
  • The first protoype was mostly based on the medium fidelity design. I utilized drop-downs to fit the data on a static dashboard screen.
  • However, after discussing with the clients, we realized this design will hide a lot of important information and we should not expect our users to use these many navigations.

Iteration 2:
  • I decided to expand the dashboard screen vertically. By making the left navigation bar static and keeping the dashboard content scrollable I was able to include a lot of important information and avoid too many button clicks.
  • I was also asked to build a heatmap into the dashboard. This was the initial idea that was pitched to me by the development team.
  • One major challenge I faced was to make complete use of the available screen space. So, I made some decisions to place each section at an appropriate location based on their usefulness to the DSPs.

Iteration 3:
  • I did not feel the first heatmap was communicating any information so I decided to expand its contents.
  • But this was more aesthically pleasing than useful. The colors communicated vague information, not the actual metrics.

Final Prototype
  • After some more discussions with my team, we moved the heatmap down as it was low on the priority list for the DSPs. However, I did a redesign of the heatmap and included the metric scale to make it easier to understand.
  • I added download buttons to some sections so the DSPs can get the most useful parts of the reports.
  • The Key Focus Area section was not actionable so I added a send message button so the DSPs can contact the drivers collectively and without having to go to a different tab.

During this Internship, I got the chance to work with different teams within a company (clients, design team, development team). I learned a lot through regular meetings and the freedom I was given to explore new ideas and design choices. I learned to visualize data in a way that is most useful and comprehensible for the users.